Tuesday, June 28, 2005

June 27: Melacca and KL

Got a good night's sleep and that was so important. Grabbed some breakfast, and then Sivin picked us up to take us to historic Melacca, where the Malaysians triumphed in Independence hundreds of years ago...


We arrived, grabbed a yummy lunch, and walked around the old Portuguese fort that was built there. We learned about the spread of Islam from Melacca outward. We experienced what a traditional Melay wedding ceremony looks like. Very cool stuff... museums, old structures, etc.

Sivin, all distinguished...


Also discovered that just an hour south was a matriarchal tribe alive amidst the very patriarchal eastern Asia. So fascinating how that seems to have affected the architecture and everything.

Stopped by Sivin's old seminary, grabbed some candy, and headed back to KL. Got some Indian food... just bread and curries really. Then some more amazing Malaysian tea. Then the Twin Towers for an evening shot...


Then home. Tomorrow we leave back to Phuket.

I shaved my face tonight for the first time I can remember in almost 2 years. Maybe I have shaved in that time, but it seems like since we moved to Oceanside I have not fully shaved my face. Kind of a season of rawness and 'just as I am'-ness. Last night the hair fell off my face; it feels so strange today.

But it feels like God granted us this get-away in order for us to get some perspective, encouragement, and health (all-encompassing shalom, really) to head back to Phuket to serve. And I think it was significant that I shaved my face... in new covenant as we head back, this time with new perspective. God, help us keep perspective.

We are all feeling infinitely better. Really. Infinitely. Still a straggling cough for me, but no big deal.

Excited to get back to Thailand, visit some villages in Phang-Nga, then Phi-Phi for a couple days, then Chiang Mai, then Ben and Chara are off and Lisa, Heath, and Rhianon join us... and the journey begins again.

This will not be our last time to Malaysia. Thank God for the people we have met.

More pics here. And please check out Ben and Chara's blog.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i lost your guys' digits and the internet here is sooo slooooooow... there's supposedly not DSL in Khao Lak since the tsunami... anyway, I got a new number.
048484227

4:08 AM  
Blogger aPoReTiC said...

too bad i couldn't join you guys at malacca... it was magic meeting you and holly, ben and chara... i truly hope you guys would visit us again, and perhaps come up north to my home city of ipoh... take care and keep in touch :)

8:37 AM  
Blogger Sivin Kit said...

it's such a great joy to be your host. And listening to your stories and concerns gives me a better understanding of "emergent" from a USA point of view, thanks ...

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home