Friday, July 01, 2005

On Adopting a Village

So, we are in Phi-Phi right now. Holly got sick yesterday. I'll let her tell the story in her own words. Today is the sabbath for volunteers on the island. Working on a video for HI PHI PHI though. Today was a mini-vacation for us. This trip (in our non-sick days anyway) has felt like part relief-work-trip, part-vacation, and part-learning/unlearning/critiquing, part-relationship-deveolpment. Wow.

Today we scuba-ed. All of us but Holly. She read. Good times. I am getting certified here in Phi-Phi. Wasn't planning on it, but alas, here we are.

So, the day before we left to come to Phi-Phi was an incredible day. One of the best days here in Thailand.

Pastors Sujit and Chatchuwan showed us to a village in the Phang-Nga province. Their churches seem to have a heart for the Sea Gypsy people. That's where they took us... to another Sea Gypsy village. Beautiful.

We got a glimpse of some needs there, prayed for people, and committed to come back and assess needs more fully and give money and support. We are thinking about adopting the village all together. Meeting all the financial needs we can and then try to visit when we can. Much of the need is for repairs of fishing boats and motorbikes, but some will be small grants for new businesses. When I say business, I mean like a barbershop for the village. We are exploring what it would/will look like to request that this money be used for the bettering of the village, not just the individual. Pastor Sujit says that will come once they come to know Jesus. I think they can come to know Jesus by learning to share... and that is the Kingdom as I see it. Preach about it later. Teach them to live it first... that's what I say anyways.

Found out that I will be preaching Sunday night. That'll be good. I'm just gonna rip off a Doug Pagitt sermon I really like. That's fine though, as it contains many scriptures and thoughts that have been actively brewing in my mind for some time.

Tomorrow is more of a work day and some scuba as well. Then back to Phuket Sunday for church (and to preach). Then Monday we leave for Chiang Mai. We will then meet Heath and Rhianon in Bangkok the morning of the 8th. Lots to do once they and Lisa are here. Lots to do.

Continue to pray for our health please. And for more opportunity. And for our family back home in the States.

More stories soon. Cheers!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sivin Kit said...

hope Holly is doing better .. need more 100plus? :-) of course with prayer

9:39 AM  
Blogger Holly Sharp said...

you're the best! I'd take a whole case of 100 plus if i could. I'm feeling much better. I think it was some bad food I ate. A couple hours after I was feeling fine. Thanks for the prayers. We miss you guys.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home